Just the Facts
3660± acre Red Hills quail plantation in Jefferson County, Florida
Beautiful, mature timbered quail courses and gorgeous rolling hills
One of the beloved holdings of the 30,000± acre Avalon Plantation
Located at US 19 and HWY 27 south of Monticello in an exclusive neighborhood of other plantations including Turkey Scratch, El Destino, Oak Hill, and Pinewoods
Located just 8 minutes to Monticello, 30 minutes to Thomasville, and 20 minutes to Tallahassee with convenient access to I-10
Well-managed timber production program
Exceptional stands of hardwoods, beautiful live oaks, and approximately two miles of creek frontage providing excellent habitat for deer and turkey
Not yet protected by a conservation easement; exceptional and strategic conservation easement donation potential for a new owner
Great location for accessing recreational opportunities along the Big Bend of Florida with nearby Aucilla and Wacissa Rivers within minutes and the Gulf less than an hour from Rosewood
2.5± miles of frontage on Highway 27/19, approximately two miles on US19 (the Florida-Georgia Parkway), and 5.3± miles on WPA Road
Historical records for Rosewood Plantation date back to Burwell McBride, who moved to Florida from South Carolina in the 1830s. The land was eventually in the hands of his granddaughter and her husband, Asa May, considered one of the wealthiest planters in north Florida during his time.
A complete boundary survey was recently completed (2020)
Rosewood Avalon’s 3,660± acres are managed for wildlife and timber, but are unimproved aside from a good road system throughout the property. This makes the plantation a blank slate for new owners to come in and customize to best suit their own tastes and preferences and a new owner won’t be saddled with the upkeep of old and obsolete buildings, which is often an issue on a number of these longstanding plantations.
Rosewood Avalon is 3,660± acres well-managed for wildlife and timber. Two-thirds of the land is in productive upland pine woods and approximately one-third of the plantation consists of beautiful stands of hardwoods and water. The topography is beautiful and rolling.
Rosewood Plantation’s history dates back to the 1830s when Burwell McBride moved to Jefferson County from South Carolina. It was a new frontier, but with fertile soils for planting, many opportunists migrated to the area and numerous plantations were established here by the mid-1800s.
Upon McBride’s death in 1848, the plantation was run by his daughter, Caroline, a widow, until 1855 when it passed to her son-in-law, Asa May, and his wife, Margaret. Asa May was noted as one of the wealthiest planters in North Florida at the time and served in various civic leadership roles after the War Between the States.
The original Rosewood house, built for Burwell McBride around 1836 soon after he arrived in Florida, is still standing and in beautifully restored condition. It is located on US 19 just north of Highway 27 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The house and an acre were divided out from the rest of the plantation sometime in the 1900s and is under private ownership.
Today, this part of the county is known as the unincorporated town of Capps. Blink and you’ve missed it, but at one time it was a bustling settlement. In the mid-1900s, Tungston Plantation was a 16,000-acre tung oil tree plantation, and Tungston unofficially became its own town with dozens of residences for employees, filling stations, a café, a mill, and even a bowling alley.
Based upon recent years, the annual property taxes for Rosewood Avalon are estimated at $12,450.