Driving down Trappe Rd is a bit like stepping back in time. The sunken, narrow road is lined with fieldstone walls and mature Cedar and Oak trees, and runs roughly parallel to the Blue Ridge Mountains, winding past several of Upperville’s best known farms and estates. Arrival at Cleremont is marked by an attractively understated entrance lined with three-board fence. Visitors enter under the canopy of a mature hardwood allée and follow the driveway between two large ponds, continuing onward towards the heart of the farm, a central collection of buildings that has evolved and expanded over the past 260 years. Today that includes the main manor house (c. 1820) and swimming pool, original patent house (c. 1761), farm office, and a detached three-bay garage. The views surrounding the manor house look out over Cleremont’s pastures, stone walls, and ponds, before ultimately focusing on the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west.
Continuing down the main farm road there is a 14-stall horse barn, manager’s house, and several equipment and farm buildings. The horse barn is not currently in use, but with modest renovations would be ready to welcome horses and equestrian enthusiasts. Its central location is convenient to both the manor house and manager’s house, and the surrounding pastureland could be readily converted to paddocks and equestrian infrastructure, if a new owner desired.
At the end of the farm road lies Bellefields Farm, a 420-acre tract of land, the majority of which is hardwood forest and believed to be the largest flatland stand of timber in Loudoun County. Bellefields features a recently renovated 3-bedroom stucco farmhouse, which can either be accessed by internal farm roads or a separate, private entrance off of Trappe Rd.
On the west side of Trappe Road lies the 680-acre Ross Farm, the third of Cleremont’s three farms. Tucked up against the slopes of the Blue Ridge sits a second 3-bedroom manor house, beautifully designed and thoughtfully sited. Approximately 515 acres of the Ross Farm is hardwood forest and features extensive riding and hiking trails, as well as excellent deer hunting opportunities. The timber on both the Ross and Bellefields Farms are closely managed and selectively harvested on a 20 – 25-year rotational basis.
The property is under conservation easement, as are many of the surrounding properties, ensuring the rural and scenic qualities of this unique area are protected in perpetuity. Additional easement opportunities are available on the property if a future owner desired, which could potentially result in federal and state tax benefits.
Cleremont Manor House & Surrounding Structures
The handsomely proportioned, 4-bedroom Cleremont manor house sits at the center of the farm beneath towering Oak trees, and dates to 1820. Adjacent to the house is the original 1761 patent house (now a guest cottage), the farm office (formerly a kitchen house built in the 19th century), and a detached, fieldstone three-car garage. Behind the house there is a pool with stunning views over the ponds and up towards the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The stucco farmhouse on Bellefields Farm was recently renovated and has 3 bedrooms. The house is connected to the rest of the farm via internal farm roads, but also has a private driveway off of Trappe Rd. The house is currently rented but would work well as an additional guest house or housing for farm staff.
Ross Farm Manor House
The manor house on the Ross Farm is a gracious Georgian-style home designed by noted local architect Billy Dew and built in 1993. The house has 3 bedrooms with en suite bathrooms spread out over a traditional and very comfortable center-hall floorplan. The elevated site provides the house and large patio with expansive eastward views over Cleremont and the surrounding farms. Additional features include a detached three-bay garage and whole house generator.
Additional Houses and Farm Buildings
Nearby the Cleremont Manor house are a 14-stall gambrel roof horse barn, a farm manager’s house, equipment barn, and cattle facilities. Additional storage structures and hay barns are spread throughout the farm.
The pastureland of Cleremont is made up of 33 fenced pastures. The creeks and perennial water sources have all been fenced as part of the effort to protect the Chesapeake Bay, and to carefully manage livestock impacts on the area’s crucial watershed. As a result of the fencing, all pastures feature one or more energy-free or spring fed automatic waterers. The pasture layout has been carefully considered to support an efficient rotational grazing plan, and in 2010 Cleremont Farm was the Region 1 winner of the Environmental Stewardship Award from the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association. Currently the farm supports approximately 200 cow/calf units along with 80 yearling stockers and 10 bulls.
1,511 +/- acres, an approximate breakdown of which is:
Hardwood Timber - 900 acres
Stream Buffer / Wildlife Corridors - 130 acres
Fenced Pasture - 450 acres
Other (building sites, ponds, etc) - 31 acres
Taxes in 2019 were approximately $24,000.