CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
1,511± Deeded Acres
Cleremont Farm spans 1,511 +/- historic, productive acres on Trappe Road, just north of the town of Upperville. Only 60 miles west of Washington D.C., Cleremont sits a world apart in the heart of Virginia’s highly sought-after Hunt Country. The western boundary of the property lies on the slopes of the Blue Ridge Mountains while the majority of the acreage unfolds eastward over a scenic mixture of rolling pastures and woods. Spread throughout this well improved farm are two manor houses, a guest cottage, three tenant houses, a 14-stall horse barn, and numerous farm buildings and structures.
Cleremont is comprised of three contiguous farms – Cleremont (410 acres), Bellefields (422 acres), and Ross (679) acres – assembled over the past sixty years under the current ownership. The assemblage is the culmination of remarkable foresight, with each farm contributing different elements of mountains, open pasture, and hardwood forest. The result is an unusually complete offering that neatly balances an income producing cattle operation with extensive recreational opportunities. The versatility of the land and meticulous management have laid the groundwork for future owners, whether they choose to enjoy the farm in its current exceptional form or implement a new vision of their own.
The size, quality, and diversity of Cleremont make it an exceptional offering in its own right. Add in its proximity to Washington D.C., along with the balance of income-producing land uses and recreational potential, and you have something not readily found in today’s market. We can say without hesitation that Cleremont Farm represents an investment caliber landholding in the heart of Virginia’s hunt country.
The lands around Upperville and Middleburg were first settled in the 1720’s and 1730’s, and both the geography and the area’s population featured in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Vestiges of Civil War history, in particular, can be found throughout the area, and the surrounding farmland was the site of the Battles of Aldie, Middleburg, and Upperville, important precursors to the Battle of Gettysburg.
The story of Cleremont Farm itself begins with a pair mid-18th century land grants, which not long after being granted were purchased from their original owners by William Rust in 1761. Rust, an early settler of the area, had recently migrated westward from coastal Virginia and Westmoreland County. Shortly after purchasing the Cleremont land he built a 1 ½ story stucco Patent House, which 260 years later still stands at the center of the farm. Members of Rust family would later build the manor house at Cleremont in 1820, before ultimately selling the farm in 1849. Although the house would survive the Civil War, the rest of the farm was not so lucky, and most of the barns and fences on Cleremont were burned during the Union Army’s pursuit of Mosby’s Rangers.
Cleremont changed hands several times over the next hundred years before finally coming under the stewardship of George Horkan Jr, who purchased the property in 1958. Under the Horkans’ guidance the main house and surrounding buildings were renovated, and a number of barns and farm structures were added. The addition of two neighboring properties expanded the farm’s footprint to 1,511 acres, and today Cleremont continues to be managed by the extended Horkan and Lindgren families.